Food and Wine
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 small leaks (½ pound), white and tender green parts thinly sliced into rounds
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 3 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into â -inch-thick slices
- 3 medium yellow summer squash, cut lengthwise into â -inch-thick slices
- Kosher salt-and-pepper
- 1 cup finely shredded GruyÃ©re (about 2 ounces)
- 1 plum tomato, very thinly sliced crosswise
- Flaky sea salt and crusty bread, for serving
Preheat the oven to 425º. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over moderately high heat. Add the leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the wine and cook until evaporated, about 2 minutes. Spread in a 9-inch round baking dish.
Meanwhile, on 2 large baking sheets, spread the zucchini and yellow squash and brush with the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil; season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the cheese and let sit until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
Tightly roll one piece of zucchini and set it on the leaks in the center of the dish. Working outward from that center slice, continue rolling and coiling additional pieces of zucchini and yellow squash until you reach the edge of the baking dish. Season the tomato slices with salt and pepper, then tuck in intervals between the zucchini and squash. Scrape any cheese off of the baking sheets and sprinkle on top.
Bake for 30 minutes, until the zucchini and squash are tender and browned in spots. Sprinkle with sea salt. Let cool slightly, then serve with crusty bread.