2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 6 cups)
1 large apple, peeled, chopped
½ cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
1¼ cups Progresso™ chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
½ cup heavy whipping cream
Spray 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add all ingredients except whipping cream.
Cover; cook on High heat setting 4 to 5 hours.
- Pour half of the squash mixture into blender. Cool 5 minutes. Cover; blend until smooth. Pour into 8-cup measuring cup or large heatproof bowl. Repeat with remaining squash mixture. Return squash mixture to slow cooker. Stir in whipping cream.
- Cover; cook on High heat setting about 5 minutes or until heated through.
Per serving – Calories: 150; Calories from Fat: 70; Total Fat: 8g; Saturated Fat 4½g; Trans Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 25mg; Sodium: 580mg; Potassium: 410mg; Total Carbohydrate: 19g; Dietary Fiber: 4g; Sugars: 7g; Protein: 2g.
- For a flavor twist, stir in ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, chopped fresh thyme or curry powder.
- Purchase peeled, precut butternut squash in the produce aisle of your favorite grocery store.
- Sprinkle a little cayenne pepper over top of the soup as a garnish, if desired.
- When blending hot liquids, it is very important that you not seal the blender, or you could risk it exploding. Remove the center portion of the blender lid, and loosely cover with a kitchen towel instead.