- 4 eggs
- ½ teaspoon. salt
- 2 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- ¾ cup unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon oil (vegetable, corn, etc.)
- Apple sauce
- Stewed pear
- Cream cheese
- Blackberry sauce
- Powdered sugar
- Toasted almonds, walnuts, and pecans
- Maple syrup
- To prepare the cholermus batter, add the eggs, salt, milk, vanilla extract (if using), unbleached flour, sugar, and oil in a blender and blend for 1 minute or until you have a smooth cholermus batter. Remember that stopping the blender and scraping down sides if necessary. You can also blend all ingredients using a mixer or hand held immersion blender.
- For the best result and taste, refrigerate the cholermus batter for at least 30 minutes before cooking.
- When the batter is ready, lightly grease a nonstick pan with sloped edges and heat it over medium. Pour 1/3 cup of the cholermus batter in the pan and swirl it to distribute evenly. Cook it for about 2 minutes or until the top of the cholermus starts to form small bubbles and it bottom is light brown.
- At this time, flip the pancake carefully and cook it for another 45 seconds to 1 minute. Be careful not to overcook the cholermus. Carefully remove your Swiss pancake to warming dish and continue cooking the pancakes according the instructions. Grease the pan lightly again if needed.
- Serve warmed maple syrup, jam or jelly on side if desired. Sprinkle the top with powdered sugar for presentation.
- Cholermüs is a traditional food from the Central Switzerland. It is a kind of pancake, or shredded fried crepe that people typically eat for dinner. These Swiss omelet-type pancakes are heavy on eggs and light on flour with a large size. People make cholermus with eggs, milk, flour, salt, and sometimes some cottage cheese. It is believed that cholermus was first made by herdsmen who used to tear them with forks and then brown the pieces in butter.
- It is recommended to fill cholermüs with fruit like apples and pears, or pair them with vegetables, ham, and bacon for the savory type.
- For fillings, you can serve your pancakes plain or add strawberries cut up and mixed in with some cream cheese. After that, garnish it with toasted slivered almonds. Roll up and bring both sides of cholermus pancakes to center.