Source: Simply Recipes
Yield: 6 servings
- Lemon juice for dressing: 1/2 Cups
- Extra-virgin olive oil for dressing: 3/4 Cups
- Medium shallot, minced for dressing: 1 Each
- Minced fresh thyme leaves for dressing: 1 Tablespoons
- Minced fresh basil leaves for dressing: 2 Tablespoons
- Minced fresh oregano leaves for dressing: 2 Teaspoons
- Dijon mustard for dressing: 1 Teaspoons
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper for dressing: 2 Pinches
- Cans of tuna: 3 Each
- Hard boiled eggs, peeled and either halved or quartered: 6 Each
- Small new red potatoes each about 2 inches in diameter, about 1 1/4 pounds total, each potato scrubb: 10 Each
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper: 1 Pinches
- Medium heads Boston lettuce or butter lettuce, leaves washed, dried, and torn into bite-sized pieces: 2 Each
- Small ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into eighths: 3 Each
- Small red onion, sliced very thin: 1 Each
- Green beans, stem ends trimmed and each bean halved crosswise: 8 Ounces
- Nicoise olives: 1/4 Cups
- Capers, rinsed – optional: 2 Tablespoons
Whisk lemon juice, oil, shallot, thyme, basil, oregano, and mustard in medium bowl; season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
Bring potatoes and 4 quarts cold water to boil in a large pot. Add 1 tablespoon salt and cook until potatoes are tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer potatoes to a medium bowl with a slotted spoon (do not discard boiling water). Toss warm potatoes with 1/4 cup vinaigrette; set aside.
While potatoes are cooking, toss lettuce with 1/4 cup vinaigrette in large bowl until coated. Arrange bed of lettuce on a serving platter (I used two serving platters, shown in the photos). Cut tuna into 1/2-inch thick slices, coat with vinaigrette. Mound tuna in center of lettuce. Toss tomatoes, red onion, 3 tablespoons vinaigrette, and salt and pepper to taste in bowl; arrange tomato-onion mixture on the lettuce bed. Arrange reserved potatoes in a mound at edge of lettuce bed.
Return water to boil; add 1 tablespoon salt and green beans. Cook until tender but crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain beans, transfer to reserved ice water, and let stand until just cool, about 30 seconds; dry beans well. Toss beans, 3 tablespoons vinaigrette, and salt and pepper to taste; arrange in a mound at edge of lettuce bed.
Arrange hard boiled eggs, olives, and anchovies (if using) in mounds on the lettuce bed. Drizzle eggs with remaining 2 tablespoons dressing, sprinkle entire salad with capers (if using), and serve immediately.