Source: The Old Farmer’s Alamanac
Yield: 1 loaf
- Medium-size tart apples, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes: 3 Each
- Vegetable oil: 1/2 Cups
- Brown sugar: 1/2 Cups
- Large eggs, beaten: 2 Each
- Salt: 1 Teaspoons
- Ground ginger: 2 Teaspoons
- Baking powder: 2 Teaspoons
- Whole-wheat pastry flour or all-purpose white flour: 2 Cups
- Raisins and/or unsalted mixed nuts, optional: 1/2 Cups
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8×4″ loaf pan.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, ginger, and salt; set aside. Combine the remaining ingredients and blend thoroughly. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and combine just until blended thoroughly (do not beat). Spread into the prepared pan.
Bake the loaf pan for 80 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the loaves comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.