- 1⅓ cups french fried onions
- 2 16-ounce cans French cut green beans
- 1 dash fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 10¾-ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- Stir the soup, milk, soy sauce, black pepper, beans and ⅔ cup onions in a 1½ quart casserole.
- Bake at 350ºF for 25 minutes or until the bean mixture is hot and bubbling. Stir the bean mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining onions.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until the onions are golden brown.
- For the cooked green beans: Use 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) green beans, drained, about 1½ pounds fresh green beans or 16 to 20 ounces frozen green beans, thawed, for this recipe.
- For Mini Green Bean Casseroles (makes 16), heat the oven to 375°F. Prep the bean mixture but substitute 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese for the soy sauce and pepper. Roll 16 uncooked refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (two 16-ounce packages) into 4-inch circles and press into 16 muffin-pan cups. Fill with the bean mixture and bake for 20 minutes. Mix ⅓ cup French fried onions and ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese and sprinkle over the green bean mixture. Bake for another 5 minutes.
- For Golden Green Bean Casserole: Substitute condensed Golden Mushroom Soup for the Cream of Mushroom Soup. Omit the soy sauce. Stir in ¼ cup chopped red pepper with the green beans.
- For Broccoli Casserole: Substitute 4 cups cooked broccoli florets for the green beans.
- To add a festive touch: Stir in ¼ cup chopped red pepper with the soup.
- To add crunch: Add ¼ cup toasted sliced almonds to the onion topping.
- Italian version: Cook 4 ounces pancetta, diced, in a skillet over medium heat until almost crisp. Add ¼ cup chopped onion and ½ teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaves to the skillet and cook until onion is tender. Add the pancetta mixture to the soup mixture in Step 1. In Step 2, sprinkle the remaining French fried onions with 1 tablespoon grated Pecorino Romano cheese, then bake as directed in Step 3.