Source: Star Tribune (Meredith Deeds)
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 pound skirt or flank steak
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 poblano chile, deeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 3 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack or crumbled Cotija
- Lime wedges, for serving
Pat steak dry and season with salt and pepper.
IN a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Cook the steak to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 10 minutes. Do not clean skillet.
meanwhile, using the same skillet, add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and heat over medium heat. Add the onion and poblano. SautÃ© for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are softened. Add the garlic and chili powder, and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the beans, tomatoes and corn and continue to cook until heated through, about 5 minutes more.
Slice the meat thinly on the diagonal.
In a medium bowl, toss the rice with the lime juice and cilantro. Divide between serving bowls and top with the bean mixture, steak slices, lettuce, avocado, tomato and cheer. Serve with lime wedges on the side.