Source: Food and Wine
Yield: 6 servings
- ¼ cup minced lemongrass, tender inner part only (2 stalks)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 serrano chile – stemmed, seeded and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch-wide strips
- Large wooden skewers, soaked in water for 1 hour
- Mint and basil leaves, for garnish
- Lime wedges for serving
==Curry Dipping Sauce==
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons Madras curry powder
- ½ cup yogurt
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1½ teaspoons finely grated lime zest plus 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- Kosher salt
In a large bowl, whisk the lemongrass with the oil, soy sauce, fish sauce, curry powder, chile and garlic. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours.
Light a grill. Thread the chicken pieces onto the skewers and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderate heat, turning, until nicely charred and cooked through, about 12 minutes. Transfer the skewers to a platter and garnish with mint and basil leaves. Serve with dipping sauce and lime wedges.
Curry Dipping Sauce
In a medium skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add the curry powdered cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Scrape the picture into a food processor. Add the yogurt, coconut milk, honey, lime zest and juice, garlic and cayenne and puree until nearly smooth. Scrape into a bowl and season with salt. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
Make ahead: The dipping sauce sauce can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.