Source: The Old Farmer’s Almanac
Yield: 6 servings
- Seasoning: salt: 1 Teaspoons
- Seasoning: ground red pepper: 1/2 Teaspoons
- Seasoning: chili powder: 1 Tablespoons
- Seasoning: ground cumin: 1 Teaspoons
- Salsa: small red onion, finely chopped: 1 Each
- Salsa: coarsely chopped fresh cilantro: 3 Tablespoons
- Salsa: 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained: 1 Each
- Salsa: medium tomato, chopped: 1 Each
- 1 beef tri-tip bottom sirloin roast or top sirloin steak, cut 1-1/2 inches thick: 1 Each
Combine seasoning ingredients; reserve 2 teaspoons for salsa. Trim fat from beef. Press remaining seasoning mixture evenly onto surface of meat. Place the tri-tip onto grate over medium coals, medium-low coals for top sirloin.
Grill 30 to 35 minutes, top sirloin 22 to 30 minutes, for rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally. Let stand 10 minutes before carving.
For salsa: In a medium bowl, combine beans, tomato, onion, cilantro, and reserved seasoning mixture; mix until blended.
Carve the roast across the grain into slices. Arrange beef and bean salsa on a serving platter and garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.