Source: The Old Farmer’s Almanac
Yield: 8 servings
- Olive oil: 2 Tablespoons
- Medium onion, chopped medium: 1 Each
- Garlic clove, minced: 1 Each
- Red bell pepper, chopped medium fine: 1 Each
- Acorn squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes: 1 Each
- Chicken broth: 1 1/2 Cups
- Frozen corn: 1 Cups
- Frozen peas: 1 Cups
- Heavy cream: 3/4 Cups
- Chopped fresh thyme: 1 1/4 Teaspoons
- Salt and pepper, to taste: 2 Pinches
Heat oil in a sautÃ© pan over a moderate flame. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until they begin to turn brown, about 5 minutes.
Add pepper and cook 3 to 5 minutes.
Add squash and chicken broth; bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer until squash is almost tender, but not soft, about 10 minutes.
Add frozen corn and peas, then add cream and thyme. Simmer 5 minutes, add salt and pepper to taste, and serve.