6 1½ cup servings + 1 ounce baked tortilla chips
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 15-ounce cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 ounces baked tortilla chips, about 10-15 each (optional)
In a large nonstick skillet, add the oil, ground turkey and onion. Cook until meat is no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, salt and pepper. Cook 1 minute longer.
Transfer to 4 quart slow cooker. Stir in the remaining ingredients: tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, kidney beans, chili powder, dried oregano and cumin.
Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until heated through. Season with salt to taste, and serve with toppings if desired.
Per serving: Calories 428; Total fat 17g; Saturated fat 2g; Monosaturated fat 2g; Cholesterol 54mg; Sodium 377mg; Carbohydrates 46g; Dietary fiber 10g; Sugar 6g; Protein 25g
- Add ¼ cup Greek yogurt to bump up calories and protein (Calories 458; Fat 12g; Protein 31g).
- Stir in ¼ medium avocado to bump up calories and healthy fats (Calories 485; Fat 33g; Protein 26g).