Well Plated [https://www.wellplated.com/apple-cider-chicken/]
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil — divided
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs â (about 8, depending on size)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt — divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper — divided
- ½ cup fresh apple cider
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 medium firm â sweet apples, cored and cut into ½-inch slices
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary — plus additional for serving
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large skillet over medium high. Sprinkle the top of the chicken evenly with ½ teaspoon kosher salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Once the oil is hot and shimmering, add the chicken to the pan, top-side down. Let cook 4 minutes, then flip and continue cooking until the meat is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees, 3 to 4 additional minutes. Remove to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- In a small bowl or large measuring cup, stir together the apple cider and mustard. With a paper towel, carefully wipe the skillet clean. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil to the pan over medium high. Once the oil is hot, add the apple slices, remaining ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper, and rosemary. Cook for 5 minutes, until the apples are lightly tender and begin to turn golden. Return the chicken to the pan and pour the cider mixture over the top. Let cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until the liquid is reduced by half. Serve warm, sprinkled with additional chopped rosemary as desired.
- This recipe is best enjoyed the day it is made, but can last 1 to 2 days in the fridge. Reheat the leftovers gently in the microwave or on the stovetop with a bit of chicken broth to keep the chicken from drying out.
- You can swap chicken breasts for the thighs, though thighs give this recipe the best flavor. If you use chicken breasts, be sure to watch the cooking time, as it may vary from what is listed in the recipe.
Amount per serving (1(of 4)) — Calories: 286, Fat: 10g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 115mg, Sodium: 430mg, Carbohydrates: 21g, Fiber: 4g