Yield: Seven ¾ cup servings
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, cut into ½-inch pieces (2½-3 cups chopped)
- 1½ cups skim milk
- 1½ cups water
- 1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Optional toppings: chopped nuts, raisins, maple syrup, additional milk, butter
Coat inside of 3½ quart (or larger) slow cooker with cooking spray.
Add all ingredients(except optional toppings) too slow cooker. Stir, cover, and cook on low for approximately 7 hours.
Spoon oatmeal into bowls; add toppings, if desired. Store leftovers in refrigerator.
- To reheat single servings: put one cup cooked oatmeal in microwave proof bowl. Add ⅓ cup fat free milk. Microwave on high for one minute; stir. Continue cooking for another minute, or until hot.
- Recipe can be doubled in 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Increase cooking time by one hour.
Per ¾ cup serving: 149 cal, 3.6 g fat, 27.3 g carbs, 3.9 g fiber, 4.9 g protein.