- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 14.5-ounce cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 to 1½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups frozen cheese tortellini (or fresh)
- 3 cups packed spinach (or more)
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup half and half
- In a microwave-safe bowl add the onions, flour, basil, garlic, tomato paste and drizzle with olive oil. Microwave for 5 minutes, stirring every 90 seconds or so; the mixture should form a paste. Add to the slow cooker.
- Add broth, tomatoes, chicken, salt and pepper to the slow cooker. Stir.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours (or until chicken is very tender).
- Remove the lid use a fork to remove the chicken out of the slow cooker. And add in tortellini and spinach, Parmesan cheese and warmed cream (cream should be warmed because it may cause curdling if added in cold).
- On a cutting board, shred or cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. Add the chicken back into the slow cooker. Put the lid back on and cook on HIGH for about 10 more minutes, or until the tortellini are cooked through. Ladle into serving bowls.
Calories Per Serving: 256; total Fat 8.6g; saturated Fat 3.5g; cholesterol 32mg; sodium 1114.8mg; total carbohydrate 32.8g; dietary fiber 1.8g; sugars 4.4g; protein 12.5g.