Source: Einat Admony (Epicurious)
Yield: 6 Servings
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 1 large jalapeÃ±o chile, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 7 garlic cloves, finely chopped 1/4 cup tomato paste
- One 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 ½ tablespoons sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground caraway
- ½ bunch Swiss chard, stemmed and chopped, or spinach
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onions and sautÃ© over medium heat until translucent, 5 to 10 minutes. Add the bell peppers and jalapeÃ±o and cook just until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and tomato paste and sautÃ© for another 2 minutes.
Slowly pour in the tomatoes. Stir in the bay leaf, sugar, salt, paprika, cumin, pepper, and caraway and let the mixture simmer for 20 minutes. Layer the Swiss chard leaves on top.
Crack the eggs into the tomato mixture. Cover and simmer for approximately 10 minutes or until the whites of the eggs are no longer translucent.