Source: Andrew Zimmern (Food and Wine)
Yield: 4 servings
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons vindaloo spice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1 stick salted butter
- 2 large yellow onions, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and pepper
- One 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- â cup chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Basmati rice, cilantro sprigs and chopped salted roasted cashews, for serving
In a large bowl, mix the yogurt with the vindaloo spice and lemon juice. Add the chicken thighs and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
In a large enabled cast-iron casserole, melt the butter over moderate heat. Add the onions season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 12-15 minutes.
Add the chicken and its marinade along with the crushed tomatoes and stock to the casserole and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened slightly, 20 minutes. Stir in the cream and simmer until the sauce is flavorful and the chicken is cooked through, 10-12 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper and serve with basmati rice, cilantro sprigs and chopped cashews.
The butter chicken can be refrigerated for 2 days.