Source: Narsai David, KCBS
Yield: 8 servings
- Black Beans, washed: 1 Pounds
- Water: 6 Cups
- Large white onions, chopped: 2 Each
- Cloves garlic, chopped: 6 Each
- Bay leaves: 3 Each
- Oregano: 1 Tablespoons
- Chili pepper flakes: 1/4 Teaspoons
- Red bell pepper, chopped: 1 Each
- Red wine vinegar: 3 Tablespoons
- Sugar: 1 Teaspoons
Select a large enough pot to hold at least three to four times the volume of beans. Bring the water to a rolling boil while you are picking over the beans to remove pebbles and any that are spoiled. Wash the beans and add to kettle. Boil for only two minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and let it rest for one hour. Drain and discard the water.
Then add water, onions, garlic, bay leaves, oregano and chili pepper flakes and simmer until beans are tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
Add remaining ingredients (except sour cream) and simmer 15-20 minutes. Serve each portion with a dollop of sour cream.