- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 16-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup red wine
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 6 fresh basil leaves, torn
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over low heat and saute garlic for about 2 minutes; be careful not to burn. Just as the garlic begins to turn brown, remove pan from heat. Allow pan to cool, and add tomatoes, wine, water, salt and sugar. Cook over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in basil.
Per serving: 159 Calories; 11g Fat; 11g Carbs; 2g Protein.
- Use on top of pasta, as a dipping sauce, or in recipes that call for fresh marinara sauce.