Yield: 4 servings
- ⅓ cup plus 1½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Zest of 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint, plus ¼ cup mint leaves, torn
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound jumbo peeled and deveined shrimp (21 to 26 per pound), thawed if frozen
- ½ small seedless watermelon (about 2 pounds)
In a medium bowl, whisk together ⅓ cup oil, the lime zest and juice, chopped mint, thyme, chile flakes, garlic, salt, and pepper. Pour half into a small bowl and set aside.
Add shrimp to remaining marinade mixture in medium bowl and chill, covered, about 1 hour.
Meanwhile, cut peel from watermelon, the cut fruit into chunks about ¾ inch by 1 inch. Heat a grill to very high (550º to 650º).
Thread watermelon onto six to nine skewers (8 to 12 inches long) so pieces lie flat. Brush on both sides with remaining 1½ tablespoon olive oil. Thread shrimp onto six to nine more skewers, piercing each through its top and bottom to form a ‘C’ (so shrimp lies flat).
Grill watermelon on one side only until grill marks appear, 1 minute. Transfer to a platter. Grill shrimp, turning once, just until pink, 1½ to 2 minutes total; set on platter.
Drizzle skewers with reserved marinade and sprinkle with torn mint.
Per serving: 250 calories, 110 calories from fat; 24g protein; 13g fat, 1.9g saturated fat; 11g carbohydrates, 0.8g fiber; 409mg sodium; 172mg cholesterol.