Source: Everyday Food
Yield: 4 servings
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken breast halves, cut in half (about 2¾ pounds)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- Cooked rice, for serving
Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. In batches if necessary, cook chicken skin side down until browned, about 7 minutes. Transfer to plate.
Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and sautÃ© until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes, scraping up any browned bits from pot. Add 2 tablespoons water.
Add garlic, cumin, and chipotle; cook until garlic is soft and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes; season, and bring to a simmer; cook 5 minutes, breaking tomatoes down with a wooden spoon. Return chicken and any accumulated juices to pot; bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Serve over rice.
Per serving: 423 calories; 21g fat (5g saturated fat); 32g protein; 18g carbohydrates; 2g fiber.