Source: The Old Farmer’s Almanac
Yield: 10 servings
- Lean ground beef: 2 Pounds
- Chili powder: 4 Tablespoons
- Salt: 2 Teaspoons
- Sugar: 1 Teaspoons
- Large onion, chopped: 1 Each
- Green bell pepper, chopped: 1 Each
- 15 ounce cans tomato sauce or tomato sauce with tomato bits: 2 Each
- Water: 1 Cups
- Bay leaf: 1 Each
- Vegetable oil: 2 Tablespoons
- Four: 2 Tablespoons
- 15 ounce cans red kidney beans, undrained: 2 Each
Cook ground beef in a skillet and drain liquid off. Add chili powder, salt, and sugar; mix well. Add onions, bell pepper, tomato sauce, water and bay leaf. Simmer for one hour.
Remove bay leaf and mix vegetable oil, flour, and beans into meat mixture. Cover and simmer 30 minutes, stirring periodically.