Yield: 4 servings
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 pound boned, skinned chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch strips (about 2 cups)
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 6 cups broccoli florets (each about 1½ inch)
- 1½ teaspoon sambal oelek
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- ¼ cup chopped roasted salted peanuts
Heat a wok or large frying pan over high heat until very hot, 3 to 4 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons oil and swirl wok to coat. Add chicken. Cook undisturbed until browned, about 2 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons soy sauce. Cook until liquid begins to caramelize around chicken, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate.
Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to wok and swirl to coat. Add bell pepper and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until garlic is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add broccoli, sambal oelek, and hoisin; toss to coat. Cook until broccoli is tender-crisp, about 5 minutes.
Whisk together remaining 3 tablespoons soy sauce, the broth, and cornstarch; pour into wok and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is thickened, 1 minute.
Stir in chicken and any juices. Stir-fry until chicken is cooked through and broccoli is tender, about 1 minute.
Serve over rice, sprinkled with peanuts.
Per serving: 558 calories, 201 calories from fat; 38g protein; 22g fat (3.5g saturated fat); 52g carbohydrates, 5.6g fiber; 1,305mg sodium; 83mg cholesterol.