Yield: 6 servings
- Olive oil, divided: 4 Tablespoons
- Onion, minced: 1 Each
- Clove garlic, minced: 1 Each
- Potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced: 6 Each
- Cold water: 2 Quarts
- Linguica sausage, thinly sliced: 6 Ounces
- Salt: 2 1/2 Teaspoons
- Ground black pepper to taste: 1 Pinches
- Kale, rinsed and julienned: 1 Pounds
In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook onion and garlic in 3 tablespoons olive oil for 3 minutes. Stir in potatoes and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes more. Pour in water, bring to a boil, and let boil gently for 20 minutes, until potatoes are mushy.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-low heat, cook sausage until it has released most of its fat, 10 minutes. Drain.
Mash potatoes or puree the potato mixture with a blender or food processor. Stir the sausage, salt and pepper into the soup and return to medium heat. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
Just before serving, stir kale into soup and simmer, 5 minutes, until kale is tender and jade green. Stir in the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and serve at once.