Yield: 1 batch
- 1 head of cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 package smoked sausage, sliced into rounds and then halves
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large can of whole tomatoes, drained
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 15 oz. can cannelini beans
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 can chicken broth
- 2 cups water (depending on the size of your cabbage head)
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a sprayed pan, combine onions and garlic and sautee until softened. Add sausage and continue cooking until browned.
Add chicken broth to the pan to get the bits off the pan and then transfer mixture to a pot.
Add cabbage, tomatoes add more water (water should not quite cover the cabbage) and cook on medium heat. Use a wooden spoon to break up the whole tomatoes.
Cook until cabbage is tender, about 30 minutes. If you like a little kick to your food, add Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes and let simmer.
Once cabbage is done, add the beans and the spinach and simmer another 10 minutes or so.