Source: The Old Farmer’s Almanac
Yield: 1 pie
- Unsweetened applesauce: 2 Cups
- Light brown sugar: 1 Cups
- Butter or margarine: 3 Tablespoons
- Sultana raisins: 1 Cups
- Eggs: 4 Each
- All-purpose flour: 1/2 Cups
- Sugar: 1/4 Cups
- Ginger: 1/2 Teaspoons
- Nutmeg: 1/4 Teaspoons
- Butter or margarine: 2 Tablespoons
- Heavy cream, whipped: 1 Cups
- 9-inch unbaked pie shell with high fluted edge: 1 Each
Place the applesauce and brown sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; add 3 tablespoons butter or margarine and stir until melted. Stir in the raisins. Cool.
In a small mixing bowl, beat the eggs and add to the applesauce mixture. Pour into the pie shell. Bake in a 375 degrees F oven on the low rack for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven.
Blend the flour, sugar and spices and cut in the 2 tablespoons butter or margarine until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the pie and continue baking until the top and crust are golden brown (about 25 minutes).
Serve with unsweetened whipped cream.