Source: Simply Recipes
Yield: 6 servings
- Sichuan peppercorns or 1 diced red chili pepper, optional: 1 Teaspoons
- Scallions, chopped: 6 Each
- 1/4-inch-thick slices of peeled ginger: 8 Each
- Garlic cloves, smashed: 6 Each
- Soy sauce: 1/4 Cups
- Rice vinegar: 1/4 Cups
- Sugar: 1/4 Cups
- Shaoxing wine or dry sherry: 1 1/2 Tablespoons
- Sesame oil: 1 Tablespoons
- Water: 1/2 Cups
- 2 star anise or pinch of anise seed, optional: 2 Each
- Chicken breast or thighs cut into bite-sized pieces: 2 Pounds
Make the braising liquid: In a bowl combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, and Shaoxing wine together and mix well. Set aside.
Heat a wok or large saute pan on high heat until a drop of water will evaporate within 1-2 seconds. Place the oil in the wok and swirl. Add the garlic, ginger, scallions, and Sichuan peppercorns/chili pepper if using and stir-fry for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
Add the chicken and stir-fry until no pink on the surface remains (you just want to sear the outside nicely).
Add the braising liquid and star anise or anise seed if using and cook for 1 minute ensuring that the chicken is well coated in the braising liquid. Add the water and cover and cook for 4 more minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and no pink remains. Serve immediately over rice with hearty amounts of the broth. Garnish with a little extra chopped scallion.