Yield: 8 servings
- 2 pounds deep orange sweet potatoes (3 or 4 medium total), peeled and sliced â -inch thick
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced, rings separated
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves, plus a thyme sprig
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (6½ oz) shredded aged gouda cheese
- 4 tablespoons flour, divided
- ¾ cup each whipping cream and chicken broth or vegetable broth
Preheat oven to 375º. Evenly arrange half of sweet potatoes and shallot (including any uneven pieces) in a shallow 2½- to 3 quart baking dish. Combine chopped thyme, salt, and pepper in a small bowl, and gouda ant 1 tablespoon of flour in another bowl. Sprinkle sweet potatoes with half of thyme mixture and half of gouda mixture. Arrange remaining sweet potatoes in dish in overlapping rows. Scatter with remaining shallot and thyme mixture.
In a small bowl, whisk remaining 3 tablespoons flour with ¼ cup cup cream until smooth. Whisk in remaining cream, and the broth. Pour evenly over sweet potatoes and top with remaining gouda mixture.
Bake until gratin is bubbling and golden brown, 45 to 55 minutes, increasing the heat to 400º for the last 5 minutes or so. Let sit 10 minutes before serving. Set a thyme sprig on top and add more salt and pepper to taste.
Per serving: 249 calories, 134 fat calories; 8.4g protein; 15g fat (9.3g sat. fat); 21g carbohydrates (2.6g fiber); 444mg sodium; 59mg cholesterol.