Source: Sunset Magazine
Yield: 6 servings
- Chicken or ham, cubed: 2 Cups
- Jack cheese, shredded: 3/4 Cups
- 9-oz packages frozen creamed spinach, thawed: 2 Each
- Sunflower seeds, roasted and salted: 1/4 Cups
- Green onions, chopped with tops: 1/2 Cups
- Mushrooms, sliced: 1 Cups
- Salad oil: 2 Tablespoons
- Long-grain brown rice: 1 Cups
- Salt: 1/2 Teaspoons
- Water: 2 1/2 Cups
- 6-oz jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained: 1 Each
- Cheddar cheese, shredded: 3/4 Cups
In a 1-quart pan, bring water and salt to a boil. Add the rice, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat, uncover, and cool slightly.
Meanwhile, in a 10-inch frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and green onions and sautÃ© until mushrooms are golden; set aside. With a fork, mix sunflower seeds into rice, then spread evenly in a greased, shallow 2-quart casserole. Over the rice, layer spinach, then jack cheese, then chicken/ham. Distribute mushroom mixture over the meat, then arrange artichokes on top. Cover and chill if made ahead.
Sprinkle top with Cheddar cheese and bake, covered, in a 350 F oven until bubbly and cheese has melted, about 30 minutes (40 minutes if chilled).