Source: The Old Farmer’s Almanac
Yield: 6 servings
- Sweet or hot Italian sausage, sliced: 1 Pounds
- Large onion, chopped: 1 Each
- Potatoes, peeled and diced: 6 Each
- Sliced celery, including leaves: 1 Cups
- 16-ounce can whole tomatoes: 2 Each
- Chopped fresh parsley: 1/4 Cups
- Beef broth or stock: 1 1/2 Cups
- Bay leaf: 1 Each
- Dried thyme: 1/2 Teaspoons
- Pepper: 1/4 Teaspoons
- Juice of lemon: 1/2 Each
- Salt to taste: 1 Pinches
In a large saucepan or nonreactive Dutch oven, brown the sausage over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until transparent, about 5 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 45 to 60 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Remove the bay leaf before serving. Serve hot.