Source: Food and Wine
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 lb ground pork
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- One 13.5-oz can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Asian fish sauce
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 carrot, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 4 oz snap peas, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Lime wedges, chopped cilantro and crushed roasted peanuts, for serving
Preheat the oven to 400º. In a medium saucepan, combine the rice and stock and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over moderately low heat until all of the liquid is absorbed, about 6 minutes; the rice will not be completely cooked.
In an enabled medium cast-iron casserole, heat the oil. Add the pork, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cray paste and cook until very fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the par cooked rice, coconut milk, sugar, fish sauce, bell pepper, onion, carrot and snap peas and mix well.
Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for about 10 minutes longer,until the rice is tender and all of the coconut milk has been absorbed. Serve warm with lime wedges, chopped cilantro and crushed peanuts.