Yield: 4 servings
- 2-3 zucchini, about 8 inches in length
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion cut into strips
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound thin-sliced, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
Using a vegetable spiralizer, cut the zucchini into spaghetti-shaped noodles. Sprinkle the zoodles with salt and set aside.
Set a skillet over medium heat and allow it to become hot. Add olive oil and swirl it around the pan. Add onions and cook 1-2 minutes or until softened. Then add the spinach and cook until just wilted. Allow to cool about 5 minutes
In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta, Parmesan cheese, egg, pepper and seasoning and mis well. Add onions and spinach and mix again.
Assemble each roll-up by laying a chicken breast out on a cutting board smooth side down. Spread a layer of the ricotta/veggie mixture onto it and gently roll it up.
Transfer to an 8×8 casserole dish.
Cover with sauce, cover, then place in oven and bake for 45 minutes.
Add cheese to the top and cook, uncovered, for an additional 15 minutes.
Bring a small pot of water to a full boil. Drop noodles in to boiling water and cook for just 1-2 minutes, before transferring back to your bowl.
To assemble the dish, place noodles in a shallow bowl and top with a chicken roll-up. Ladle sauce over the top and garnish with additional parmesan cheese, if desired.