Source: Sunset Magazine
Yield: 6 servings
- Cherry tomatoes, stems removed: 20 Each
- 7-oz can green salsa: 1 Each
- Soy sauce: 1/2 Teaspoons
- Green onions, chopped and tops included: 1/4 Cups
- Carrot, shredded: 1/4 Cups
- Mushrooms, sliced: 1/4 Pounds
- Celery, sliced: 1/4 Cups
- Medium zucchini: 2 Each
- Cauliflower head: 1 Pounds
- Broccoli bunch: 1 Pounds
- Long-grain brown rice: 1 Cups
- Chicken bullion cubes: 2 Each
- Water: 2 1/2 Cups
- Slices monterey jack cheese, cut in half: 3 Each
- Slices cheddar chese, cut in half: 3 Each
- Sunflower seeds, salted and roasted: 3 Tablespoons
In a 2-quart saucepan, bring the water with bullion cubes to a boil. Add the rice, cover pan, and simmer for 45 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat and uncover.
Meanwhile, break the broccoli into bite-size flowerets leaving about 2 inches of stem; save remaining stems for other uses. Break cauliflower into bite-size flowerets. Cut squash into 1/2-inch thick slices. Combine broccoli, cauliflower squash and celery in a large steamer (or place in a steaming basket or colanderinside a large kettle). Cover and steam for 8 to 10 minutes, or until vegetables are almost tender. Add mushrooms, cover, and steam for 2 more minutes. Remove vegetables from heat.
Add carrots, green onions, and soy sauce to the rice; toss lightly with a fork to combine. Spread rice mixture evenly in a greased, shallow 2-quart casserole or baking pan. Spoon salsa evenly over the tice and top with steamed vegetables and the tomatoes. Cover with alternate slices of jack and Cheddar cheese, overlapping edges slightly. Cover and chill if made ahead.
Bake, uncovered, in a 350 F oven for 15 to 20 minutes (25 to 30 minutes if chilled) or until heated throughout. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds and serve immediately.